Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thanks for Asking

Yesterday I shared the Alexa.com traffic reports for the WJMAFM.com website. It demonstrated how many links drive traffic on the interconnected web -- even if it links to a dead site.

But, some asked offline, what about this site? How has the traffic for "CE Conversations" changed over the last three months? Fair question.

Over the past three months, our ranking's gone up 3.9 million positions, and our reach has grown 487%. Sounds super -- but remember it's only ten times the reach of WJMA's placeholder page.

(click on image to enlarge)



Are there things we can do to maximize growth? Sure.

One tried and true method is to publish a single-subject blog. If we only talked about radio, or the Internet, or comics, or music, or politics, or any of the other goofy things we blog about here, our traffic would be much, much higher. But most of the content I produce professionally elsewhere is tightly focused -- so I'm willing to trade optimal traffic numbers for the opportunity to write about whatever I want.

And the web is social. The more blogs we link to and the more comments we leave on other blogs, the more links (and traffic) we get back. However, I'm not about to start posting comments on other blogs willy-nilly just to leave our URL as many places as possible. I'll read the blogs I'm interested in, and occasionally post comments when I have something to share.

So I expect we'll continue to grow, but at a slow pace. And that's fine -- because it means we can keep doing this blog the way we want to. And have some fun in the process.

- Ralph

Day 95 of the WJMA Web Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment