Monday, June 01, 2009

New Habits Die Hard, Too

Saturday I spent most of the day doing yard work. No problem, I had my iPod and I had some podcasts to get through. I needed to get gas for the lawnmower, so I put my iPod aside, got my keys and hopped in the car.

Along the way to the gas station, I listened to "Whad'ya Know?" and got involved with Michael Feldman's interview with Patricia O'Conner, author of Origin of the Specious: Myths and Misconceptions of the English Language. When I pulled up to the pump, I instinctively reached for the pause button where my iPod usually sits. Not there.

I missed the rest of the interview while I filled up the gas can. And the show was into a new segment by the time I was ready to head home.

Bummer.

Now during this past week, while driving, I listened to a two-hour episode of "This Week in Law," hour-plus episodes of "This Week in Media" and "This Week in Tech" respectively, a 45-minute installment of "In Our Time," as well as some other shorter podcasts, and never missed a word. 

Yet on a 15-minute round trip to the gas station, I only got to hear a portion of a 10-minute interview. Wow. That's why I don't listen to live radio as much. 

Fortunately, "Whad'ya Know?" is also available as a podcast.

I subscribed over the weekend.

 - Ralph

Day 57 of the WJMA Podwatch

No comments:

Post a Comment