Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Lio Traps a Capp

I admit I don't care much for Reg Smythe's Andy Capp. When it was launched in 1957, alcoholism was still a source of humor. But the era of the lovable lush is long over, I think, and I find little endearing about an unemployed freeloader who drinks up his wife's paycheck. 

I don't know if Mark Tatulli feels the same way. Regardless, Andy Capp makes a cameo in his strip Lio on February 6, 2016.


Tatulli's played with the panel borders before, and characters from other strips have entered through them. This one is especially nice because Tatualli's rendition of Andy Capp is spot on. And note the way the panel's layout. There's no border around Andy Capp because, of course, he's outside Lio's strip. Having one of the panel lines serve as part of the trap is just genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment