Friday, October 07, 2022

#ClassicsaDay #FallBreak Week 1

For several years now the Classics a Day team has come up with a new theme for each month. But sometimes we all need a break. Plus, none of the suggested themes seemed particularly inspired. So this month there's no theme. 


Everyone's enjoying a fall break. For some of us, it will be a break from posting. For me, I'm just going to post some of my favorite classical works. After all, this is the music I'd want to enjoy on break! 

Here are my posts for week 1 of #FallBreak.

10/3/22 Alan Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain, Symphony No. 2, Op. 132

This 1955 work made Hovhaness's reputation. And it's still one of my favorites from his extensive catalog.




10/4/22 Thomas Tallis: Spem in alium

I had the privilege of hearing this work performed live a few years ago. It was only then that I truly understood Tallis' genius.




10/5/22 Franz Joseph Haydn: Il mondo della luna Overture

"Everybody knows" Haydn didn't write good operas. Well, perhaps as staged dramatic works. But just to listen to? I think they're fine. And this one's my favorite.




10/6/22 Thomas Weelkes: Thule, the period of cosmography

Incredible madrigalist effects in this one (having the music illustrate the text). And every time I see a Thule carrier strapped on top of a car, this music runs through my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment