Monday, August 19, 2013

The Diabelli Project 008 - Two-part Invention at the Octave

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This time, I thought I'd start with the most basic musical element -- the scale -- and see where it led. Of course, I didn't go with the most obvious choice (major or minor). I used the Dorian mode instead. In the third bar, I could already see some possibilities with breaking up the downward sequence into smaller units, and distorting the regularity of the motion somewhat. This is another sketch I might return to at some point. (click on image to enlarge) 


Which isn't to discourage anyone else from using it. What possibilities do you see (or hear) in the Dorian mode? Or should it stay in that mode at all? It's up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment