Monday, August 26, 2013

The Diabelli Project 009 - Two-Part Invention at the Fifth

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

Here's another two-part invention that I think might be rife with possibilities. The rhythmic motif that opens the piece (two 16ths and an 8th note) begin and end the four-bar statement. A simple reversal of an 8th note followed by two 16ths in the last measure spices up the interplay between the two voices. And although I've changed the pitches on the beat, there's no reason why that couldn't be shifted to provide a little bit of hemiola.



Well, that's what I would do if I wrote more of this out, but that's not the only solution. What would you do? As with the rest of the series, I invite you to take this idea and make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment