Monday, May 19, 2014

Diabelli Project 041 - Fugue in C major

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This little fugue has all kinds of possibilities I think. First, the repeated figure is quite simple, so it's easy to follow. And easy to work with. Repeat any note with four sixteenths, and it will be heard as a reference to the fugue's subject. You could diminish the rhythm to just two sixteenths instead of four -- or make a triplet repeated pattern. (click on image to enlarge)

And we haven't even started talking about how you could work with the intervals, invert the melody, use retrograde motion, etc. What happens next? Your choice! Just let me know the results. And I promise share mine when I get this finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment