Friday, January 13, 2017

Line Mar Match Box Construction 035 - Stork

 I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

035 Stork

The stork has some similarities with the 034 Duck -- and some additional problems. The beak is way longer on the toy I built than it shows in the diagram. The issue is one I've run across before. There are two dowel rods running through the metal piece, and one simply blocks the other.

In this case, the dowel representing the beak was blocked by the one serving as the neck. In retrospect, I might have come closer to the illustration by cheating a little. I could have had the neck dowel go just a little way into the head, which would have allowed the beak dowel to move further inside and thus make a shorter beak. And it would have made the exposed neck longer, bringing it closer to the depicted toy.

In the current construction, the open side of the head's metal piece is facing downwards, so the bird looks complete from both sides. In order to have a shorter beak, I'd have to turn the box on its side to give the neck dowel a hole to slide into, which would mean the toy could only be viewed from one side only. So we'll just go with the modified version, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment