Monday, May 01, 2017

Diabelli Project 150 - Kyrie Eleison for SATB

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

For the 150th installment of this series, I decided to be a little more ambitious. And so, for this week's flash composition, I set the opening of a Kyrie Elison. Traditionally, each line of the text is set three times: Kyrie eleison (3x); Christe eleison (3x); Kyrie eleison (3x).  As you can see, I managed to complete the triple iteration of the first phrase (not bad for 10 minutes of writing, I think).

What next? There are all kinds of possibilities. I could make this the opening movement of a complete mass. I could start each movement with the same motif. Or I could have each movement start with something different, yet related to the opening. Or perhaps the idea of the paired voices could be explored further.

I don't think I'm quite finished with this idea yet.







As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment