Thursday, December 14, 2023

Robin White: Light of the World

CD singles are common in many musical genres. But they're relatively rare in classical. So this one piqued my interest when it crossed my desk recently. I wasn't familiar with Robin Whit's work, so I was hearing this track with fresh ears. 

If you take "Light of the World" for what it is, you'll enjoy it. This is, quite simply, an unpretentious Christmas carol. It's not trying to push any stylistic envelopes. It doesn't offer any grand insights. It just celebrates the idea of Christmas simply and nostalgically.

In the liner notes White writes: "What can you say about Christmas that’s new? Nothing: that’s the whole point!" So he gives us a light classical choral work, set as a Viennese waltz. If I wasn't aware of its origins, I'd have guessed this to be a Victorian composition. 

No matter. It works. I can see this being a welcome addition to many a choral Christmas program. A bit of fun for the season. 

Robin White: Light of the World
Alban Voices; Royal Ballet Sinfonia; Robin White, conductor
Divine Art dds 29008
CD Single

No comments:

Post a Comment