Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Going off the grid - prologue

Tomorrow my dad and I make our semi-annual trek to York, Pennsylvania for the Train Collector's Association meet. It's become a major event for toy train manufacturers, in some cases replacing the New York Toy Fair. Which means we'll be seeing some new product announcements at York. But that's not the point of this post.

The point is this. We'll stay in the decidedly old-school motel that Dad favors (it's part of the tradition). The rooms have no phone, and only broadcast TV. I will have no Internet access for the rest of week, or indeed any access to any higher level sources of information. Can I survive off the grid?

Sure. But it's going to difficult, personally and professionally. I'll explain further in the next two posts. And if you're wondering how I'm posting while off the net, well there's not much of secret to it. Those posts will be written tonight, and scheduled to run on the appropriate day.

So while my virtual self is blogging away, I'll actually be enjoying a low-tech weekend in Amish country....

- Ralph

Day 120 of the WJMA Web Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment