Thursday, October 09, 2008

Garage/Soul '66 - A Social Network Experiment

This is something of an experiment. Just as studios run movies past test audiences before officially releasing them, we're going to pre-test our new podcast before it launches.

One of the things I do at DCD Records is produce it's podcast. The "DCD Classical 'Cast" is classical, and I had a clear idea of what I wanted the show to be, and, since I also host a classical music radio program, what it should sound like.

DCD Records also carries some compilations of vintage 1960's music from Arcania International and Psych of the South. Both labels were agreeable to an anthology podcast, but wanted something that would ensure the music couldn't be lifted out of the podcast (thereby decreasing sales). My solution was to present the music like 60's AM radio, with cross-fades and DJ chatter running straight up to the vocals.

Early in my career, I actually worked for a station that still used 45's, so I was familiar with the mechanics of the sound. But does it make for a good show?

That's where the experiment starts. I'm going through all of my new media outlets, inviting people to go to the Garage/Soul '66 site. Once there, they can read about the proposed show, listen to the sample program -- and leave feedback.

I'll take all the comments and use them to craft the final version of the program.

So if you're at all interested in vintage rock'n'roll or soul music, head on over to Garage/Soul '66 and give it a listen.

We'll see if the wisdom of the masses can help make this podcast a success!

- Ralph


Day 116 of the WJMA Web Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment