Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The Straco Layout, Part 18 - Keep on Truckin'

A new vehicle for the Straco layout.
There's been a new addition to the Straco Layout (read more about the whole project here). I've been on the lookout for a few more compatible vehicles to add to the layout. I had a truck from my childhood I could use (Part 11, Truckin' ) and I found a few inexpensive  vehicles at the TCA Eastern Division Toy Train Show at York, PA, (Part 12, Gridlock!).

Since then, I haven't had much luck. eBay seemed a logical choice, but it's also where all the collectors look, so I often lost out to folks who were serious about Japanese toy cars.

I did win an auction recently, though, and it was well within my comfort level (cheap these were originally, and cheap must be my purchase price).

A side-by-side comparison with the truck I had as
a kid (left). Size is comparable -- build quality isn't.
The new purchase is a truck that I'm sure was part of a set. These were often sold in packs of three or four -- identical models with different colors and lithographic designs. If anyone knows anything about this A.W. Livestock truck, please leave a comment -- I'd like to have some information about this toy.

When I added it to the layout, something unusual happened. A pattern emerged. All of a sudden I had two cattle trucks, and one of the trains has a cattle car. Voila! Instant industry.

I'm still looking for vehicles. They must be Japanese in origin, and made in the late 1950's to early 1960's. They must be approximately 2.5"-4" in length. And what I really need is some color contrast. I have two red vehicles, one that's red and yellow, and another all yellow. So the search continues for a blue, green or orange car or truck. That's cheaply made.
We've gone from a random collection of Japanese toys
to depicting a budding cattle industry.

And cheap.

Layout costs:
  • Pegboard: $4.95
  • Flathead Screws: $0.40
  • Moulding: $2.49
  • SilClear: borrowed from a friend
  • Green Paint: left over from another project
  • Wood Screws: $3.60
  • Felt Pads: $1.99
Power Pack: $5.90
Small Houses: $3.00
Testor's Gray Paint for road: $1.29
Two Japanese toy cars: $2.00
Bandai Areo Station: $8.99
A.W. Livestock truck: $4.99

Total Cost: $39.60

#Straco

No comments:

Post a Comment