Monday, April 11, 2016

Diabelli Project 106 - Wind Trio

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This isn't the first wind trio that's popped out of my subconscious during this flash composition exercise. My first version (see: Diabelli Project 76) was for a slightly different group -- oboe, clarinet, and bassoon. This one's for flute, clarinet and bassoon. There are some differences. In this line-up, every instrument produces sound in a different way -- the flute by wind blowing across an opening; the clarinet by the vibration of a single reed; the bassoon by the vibration of two reeds.

Each has its own sound characteristic. So for me, a trio like this is all about contrasts. As each instrument picks up the melody, it's subtly transformed by the nature of the instrument.


At least, that's what I think. As always, this Diabelli flash composition is offered to any and all who'd like to use it. What happens next? I'll be developing it one way, but probably not the direction you might take. If you do use this sketch, all I ask is that you share the results. I'm always curious with these to find out what happens next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment