Friday, August 01, 2008

Webb Responds!

As long-time readers may recall, back on May 20th I wrote Jim Webb, one of my two senators about the Internet Radio Equality Act. I received an e-mail response today. Here's the letter.

August 1, 2008
Dear Mr. Graves:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding Internet radio. I apologize for the delayed response. [two months and some change -- but I'm just as guilty with some of my correspondence]

Internet radio and other forms of alternative media provide a fair and open forum for musicians to present their material, as well as for consumers to hear music that does not always receive air time on mainstream media. [true, that] My staff and I will carefully evaluate Copyright Royalty Board decisions, court decisions, legislation, and other pertinent matters affecting webcasting to ensure that the best interests of Virginians are served. [I'm hoping that the best interest of folks in my state aren't divergent from the rest of the nation here!]

As the 110th Congress continues to address media rights and other important issues facing the United States, please be assured that your views will be very helpful to me and my staff. I hope that you will continue to share your views with us in the years ahead.

I would also invite you to visit my website at www.webb.senate.gov for regular updates about my activities and positions on matters that are important to Virginia and our nation. [Yep. And I also track you on OpenCongress.org]

Thank you once again for contacting my office.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb
United States Senator
JW:as


OK, not too bad. I appreciate the initials at the bottom. For those not up on the formalities of business correspondence, it means the letter came from Senator Webb, but was actually typed by someone else whose initials are A.S. (either a secretary or office assistant). I appreciate it because it means Webb's not pretending to personally answer all the letters that come into his office.

And it looks like he actually read my email, so I'm kind of happy about that. How will he vote if S. 1353 ever makes it out of committee? Well, I'm not 100% sure. But his take on the issue seems a little more solid than Rep. Eric Cantor. At least he doesn't think I'm against any royalty increase at all!

So I'll keep watching the mail and inbox for something from Senator Warner. Two down, one to go!

- Ralph

Day 48 of the WJMA Web Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment