Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Old Fashion Locomotive and Three Carriages

No, the title isn't a typo. As you can see from the photo below, that's exactly the Engrish used on this Japanese toy. The Old Fashion is another childhood toy I recently unearthed. This one, as I recall, was used as a decoration on a birthday cake. (click on images to enlarge)

The importer's label lower right reads "Shackman, New York, N.Y."
 A cheap Japanese toy for the day, I'm still impressed with the overall build quality. The pieces are metal, and are fairly heavy. The wheels all roll freely, and the hooks are thick enough that they don't bent easily (which is probably why they aren't broken).



I've seen similar choking hazard-sized Japanese trains made a few years later, before they switched exclusively to plastic. The metal on those later models were so thin that parts sometimes snapped off in transit from Japan.

Not this one, though. Small, inexpensive, but still built a little better than it had to be. I'm glad we kept it!


(The label on the box says "Shackman, New York." I wonder if it's the same as Shackman Stores?)

No comments:

Post a Comment