Friday, December 16, 2016

Line Mar Match Box Construction 032 - Dog

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

032. Dog

The dog was the first toy I found impossible to build as shown. The issue was the front legs. There are only two lengths of dowels. The long ones were way too long, and the short ones didn't have enough length to hold the two legs to the body. One leg, yes; but not two.

In order to photograph an assembled version of the toy, I had to cheat. As you can see in the photo at left, I had to use the long dowel rod in order to get the pieces to hold together. 

And you'll notice that the tail is also significantly taller than it appears in the illustration. That's because I had the same issue. A short dowel rod would hold the hind legs to the body, but leave no tail to speak of. Only the longer dowel would work. 

So I did what I had to, and very carefully angled the camera so that the dog's body hid most of the  excess dowel sticking out the side. 

While I was able to get the shot, I'm ambivalent about Line Mar counting this as one of the 100 toys. Sure there are 100 drawings, but in this case that drawing didn't translate well into reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment