Monday, March 13, 2017

Duet for Violin and Percussion - Part 3

As part of my Diabelli Project flash composition series, I wrote four sketches for violin and percussion. They seemed to have potential, and so I'm expanding them into a larger four-movement composition. And I decided to document my progress on this Duet for Violin and Percussion (primarily to keep me on task).

Sketch score finished!

The last time I posted about this work, I had just completed the first movement. Well, the other three followed in rapid succession (I was kind of surprised myself). 

Second movement

In contrast to the up-tempo first movement, this one's a little slower. The percussionist plays both marimba and glockenspiel, providing a 2-against-3 rhythmic pulse. The movement's in an AB form, so it doesn't return to where it began. Don't worry, though -- that opening percussion figure will appear later on. 



Third movement

Although this movement has a slower tempo marking than the second, it probably won't seem that way to the listener. There are fast runs all over the place providing a sense of energy and (I hope) urgency. 

The percussionist plays tympani, which is a tuned membrane instrument, and snare drum, which is an untuned membrane instrument. This movement's in ABA form, with a greatly abbreviated A'. 



Fourth movement

The final movement is a fast and furiously played. It's in an ABACA rondo form. As the movement goes on, motifs from the previous movements reappear. Some just make a cameo, others get reworked. 




Next steps

I already see flaws in the percussion part I want to fix, and some parts I'd like to tighten up, but I won't. Not now. Now I'll just put it aside and revisit the work sometime in mid-April. That will let me approach it with fresh eyes (and ears). And in the meantime, I'll be subconsciously thinking about those details I don't like.

Next week I'll post another Diabelli Project flash composition sketch (which I still do almost every week). I've already started work on another piece, but I'll share the details when it's a little further along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment