Friday, September 01, 2017

Line Mar Match Box Construction 064 - Lumber Car

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

064. Lumber Car

This is the third car in the train shown on the box art. It was a pretty simple build, and has an enormous cheat.

Line Mar's building kit only came with eight long dowel rods. In this model, two are used as axles. Four provide the stakes for the load. So only two remain to serve as the lumber load itself.

Yet the picture shows a whole pile of long dowel rods. Shortly after I received this set, I made some replacement dowel rods. Over the past 80 years the original dowels had swollen and warped, and I've been using the replacement dowels for a lot of the builds.

In this case, I used both the original dowels and the replacements to provide a decent load for the lumber car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment