Monday, December 11, 2017

Diabelli Project 174 - String Trio, Mvt. 1D

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This string trio series is a bit of a departure. I'm still flash composing, with a 10-minute time limit to write as much as I can. Instead of starting over each week, I'll be attempting to pick up where I left off from the previous week for my 10-minute session. 


This is the fourth part of the first movement, and it's also the final sketch for this movement. Next week I'll devote four sessions to the second movement, then four to the final. In each case, I expect the combined sketches should be enough to complete the work.

This sketch continues the climax to a cadence point started in the last part. And, it also marks a return of the opening material at the end. Of course, it's not quite the same,  but that's the point.

All told, I have about a minute and half of what will probably be a 3-5 minute movement. So far, so good!

The grayed measure is from last week's sketch.





As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment