Monday, March 26, 2018

Diabelli Project 186 - Wind Duet Part 4

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This flute and clarinet duet was written in 10-minute flash composition installments.

I remember reading a tip that a prolific writer often used. When he was done for the day, he would stop in the middle of a sentence. It helped him pick up the narrative thread the next day and kept the momentum going.

I think that's sort of what happened here. The last two installments of this duet have both ended a bar or two into a new section. It provided a good starting point for the next flash composition session. I already had a general idea of what would happen -- I just had to fill in the notes (for ten minutes).

In today's installment, I continued the clarinet solo. I'm a percussionist, so I can only apologize to any wind players looking at this for the exotic rhythms. I don't usually have 32nd note figures, but that's what I heard. In the very last measure, the flute breaks the accompanying pattern. This is signaling a transition to a new section -- probably in a new key center.

(The grayed area is where I stopped the previous week.)



As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment