Monday, November 12, 2018

Diabelli Project 204- 214 - Duet for Clarinet and Marimba Complete Score

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

Below is the score for my Clarinet and Marimba Duet. It was written in 10-minute sessions, spaced about a week apart. Since I was continuing the same music from week to week, I allowed myself 2-3 minutes to study the previous week's sketch before diving in.

Although this was an almost entirely spontaneous creation, I'm pretty happy with the results. There's a simple three-part structure to it. The duet begins in one key center, moves to a second, then back to the first. Motiving elements are repeated and reworked, helping it all to hang together.

I do see some copyist errors I need to fix, but I'll address those later.

At the given tempo marking, the piece runs about 2 minutes. Should there be some additional movements? I'm not sure. If I were to continue it, I'd probably use some of the same patterns as building blocks.

For now, though, I think I'll call it done. What do you think?







As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment