Thursday, November 29, 2018

Halsam American Brick Build - Bridge

In the mid-1950s' Halsam offered interlocking brick building toys made from pressed wood. I'm assembling each of the models shown in the instruction booklet for their 60/1 and 60/2 building sets. I'm calling it the Halsam American Brick Build.




The twelfth build is a bridge. This was one of my favorite things to build with this set. The plans call for four pillars spanning the (imaginary) water. But you can make as many as you have bricks to build them, making a much longer footbridge.


The approaches are assembled in halves.


The yellow bricks that form the steps secure the two halves.




The bridge supports are somewhat tricky to build. You have to balance everything on a single column of brick.

Once assembled, it's easy to connect the supports together. And, as I said, with enough bricks, you can build a pretty long bridge.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:40 PM

    Wild. My dad was born in 1947. He played with these as a kid, and then gave to me when I was real young, and I would build this exact bridge. Over the (adult) years I started to wonder if the memories of these things were actually real. You just confirmed it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete