Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dick Tracy and Brenda Starr

My appreciation for the revamped Dick Tracy continues to grow. In a recent sequence Mike Curtis and Joe Staton had Tracy checking some facts with a contact at a newspaper. But it wasn't just any newspaper, and it wasn't just any source. Long-time comics readers instantly recognized Hank O'Hair in the offices of the Flash -- Brenda Starr's editor.

Brenda Starr, Reporter started in 1940, nine years after Dick Tracy. Dale Messick's strip about the adventurous girl reporter underwent several changes, and despite top-notch writing and artwork by  Mary Schmirch and June Brigman, Brenda Starr was discontinued in January, 2011.


Curtis and Staton could have had Tracy call any paper and talk to any editor to get the information necessary to forward their story. To make it Hank O'Hair of the Flash was a nice tip'o the hat to another great comic strip. (click on the image to enlarge)









1 comment:

  1. I have fallen in love with Joe Staton's Dick Tracy. I just wish they could have done the same for Brenda. Brenda Starr is absolutely my all time favorite comic strip. But, I was flabbergasted to see how Hank was honored!!! I completely missed this!!! I noticed that Daddy Warbuck's showed up recently.

    ReplyDelete