Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Being a good citizen

"Poor officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."

-Tarheel Ward, 1970s


A friend of mine posted this today. It's a quote from her high school history teacher. I think it just about sums things up nicely.

As is my custom, I voted early in the morning. I think of it as the most important thing I do today.

And I'll think it 's the most important thing I'll do on Election Day next year, when the elections are all local, and ton Election Day the year after that when we'll have some state-level decisions to make.

In my opinion, the folks who only vote in the presidential election are like the people who only come to church on Christmas and Easter. Yes, it's better to some participation rather than none, but by only showing up for the big events, you miss what the experience is really all about. And you miss the chance to make decisions that immediately effect your life.

I'm a good citizen who voted.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment