Monday, December 22, 2014

Diabelli Project 071 - Piece for Solo Violin

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

There's a reason why composers use the violin so much. It's an amazingly versatile instrument with a huge range, the ability to play more than one note simultaneously, and has an expansive repertoire of string techniques to create widely disparate sounds (think: harmonics).

No, I don't take advantage of all of those things in this week's sketch -- but I did keep in mind the violin's singing quality as I wrote. (click on image to enlarge).



What happens next? That's up to you. As with all the Diabelli Project sketches, I offer this freely to anyone who would like to use all or part of it. Just let me know the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment