Monday, October 16, 2017

Diabelli Project 166 - Piece for Solo Violin

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This isn't the first sketch for solo violin in this series. When I went through the records, though, I was surprised at how long it's bee since the previous ones. The sketch below is only the third I've done in this flash composition exercise. The first was in 2014, the second over a year ago.

I knew when I started my 10-minute dash that I wanted to write without a set meter. That suggested a solo instrument, and the rest just flowed.

Is this part of the same piece as the other two sketches? I'm not sure. One thing that struck me was how much further I got on this piece before time ran out. The other two sketches run just three staves each. This has seven.

Of course, quantity isn't the same as quality. But I think I like this sketch better than the other two.



As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment