Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Diplomat Raymond Comes to Town

As if yesterday's missive from the Central Bank of Nigeria wasn't enough, another arrived today that was even more impressive. The subject line read:

YOUR DIPLOMAT HAS NOW ARRIVE AT JACKSONVILLE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FLORIDA,CONTACT HIM NOW. (diplomatraymond@[email address]) or (XXX)-900-XXXX
(I'm deliberately blocking out the email and phone so as not to tempt someone to contact them out of curiosity)

Well, that got my attention! My very own diplomat?! Tell me more!

The text of the email did just that:
This is to notify you that your funds USD 2.2M has been programmed for  immediate release into your nominated account but we can not transfer this funds direct to your nominated bank account, because we are having a little problem with International Monetary Fund (IMF) so our method of payment is via Diplomatic Courier Service.Contact him now, his name (Dip Raymond Edward) for the release of your fund through diplomatraymond@[email address] )or call (XXX-900-XXXX).
 Wow! 2.2 million dollars! I better contact my diplomat right away!

There are a few details of interest about this particular Nigerian 419 scam. First off, the official-sounding email address. "diplomatraymond" Really? I'm sure that's just how they assign them at the State Department. "Sure, your Excellency, just email me at diplomatjoe@state.gov."

And the use of a 900 telephone number is a nice touch. Even if someone calls out of curiosity intending to listen just for a second (and what are the odds that they won't be kept on the phone as long as possible?) the scammer makes a little cash. And sadly, there's no doubt in my mind that this number's been dialed more than once (which is why I redacted most of it).

Maybe it is time Frank Drake came out of retirement...

No comments:

Post a Comment