Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Statement of Faith

I wrote earlier about running out of "safe" topics to post. I've been kind of dancing around the subject, but I've decided to doing some posts about my faith journey.

Now I know this is a potentially hot topic, so let me be clear about what I'm trying to do.

1) I'm not trying to convert anyone.
I don't pretend to have all the answers -- or even some of them. Whether you have faith or not, my goal isn't to change your opinion one way or the other

2) It's all personal.
I'll share what I think are interesting observations about faith. It's not to show how much better (or worse) my denomination is than anyone else's. But most of what I think  about and react to happens within the context of the Presbyterian Church (USA) -- a mainstream Protestant connectional church. Your mileage may vary.


3) There might be more common ground than you think.
Talking to folks from different faith backgrounds has helped me realize that -- because we're all human beings -- group dynamics tend to be the same regardless of the organization (even if the terms are different). So when I share a thought or an observation, take it as simply that. "Here's what I see happening here. Have you had something similar happen with you?"


No comments:

Post a Comment