Monday, November 03, 2014

Diabelli Project 064 - Piece for Solo Flute

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

I admit, I'm no Paul Hindemith. But his idea of writing a concerto for every instrument sounded appealing. In this case, I decided to devote these flash compositions to a survey of the major instruments of the orchestra. The series kicks off with this sketch for solo flute.

Every instrument not only has a distinctive sound, but its own set of technical challenges and special abilities. For this sketch, I used the flutter tongue technique to add intensity to the held notes, and the flute's agility to create a fluid melody.


What happens next? That's up to you. As always, you're welcome to use all or part of this sketch. Just let me know what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment