Monday, June 20, 2016

Diabelli Project 115 - String Orchestra Piece

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week's sketch was something of an experiment in rhythm. The goal was to have this rumble of noise underneath the melody in the first violins. But I didn't want just a random sound -- rather, I wanted a strong rhythmic pulse that kept driving everything forward. And, after a ten-minute flash composition session, here's the result.


As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

Just for fun,  I did a time-lapse video of me preparing the fair copy of the score. I know that computers are faster, but there's something therapeutic about doing this work by hand (especially now that I no longer have pressing deadlines associated with it). Consider it my version of an adult coloring book (albeit one in black and white).

No comments:

Post a Comment