Monday, July 23, 2018

Diabelli Project 200 - Piece for Violin and Piano 1

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

To mark my 200th flash composition, I'm building on the extended project I just finished (see: Diabelli Project - Woodwind Trio 194-199).

In that series, I began a sketch with one 10-minute flash composition session, then continued the same sketch with a second. This time, I started a violin and piano piece with this weeks 10-minute session. Each week I'll continue working on the piece in 10-minute installments for a month. This will be a journey of discovery for sure!

The piece starts with a simple figure - a repeated note, and then a step upward. The interval isn't specified, which gave me lots of possibilities. 

In the first measure (in the piano), C moves to E then back down to D (up a major third, then down a major second). In the second measure, E moves to F, then back to E (up a major second, then back down again). In the third measure, A moves to B-flat (up a minor second, no downward motion). 

Initially, the violin's playing freely over the relatively simple piano part. But I think that will change very soon.

As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment