Monday, July 02, 2012

Walking the Road to Recovery - 1

I was training for the Men's 4-Miler when I was derailed by a kidney infection. All of a sudden I went from running 10-12 miles a week, to complete inactivity . And I missed the race.

But that's not  the end of the story. The infection's passed, but not before my body went sepsis. My knees are now swollen and painful to bend. I think it's a secondary infection, but my doctor's not sure. We're ruled out Lyme's Disease, and there's no sign of any residual infection. He thinks it might be rheumatoid arthritis triggered by the infection, but I'm skeptical.

First, rheumatoid arthritis isn't in my family history. Second, it appeared suddenly, and initially the joints were warm to the touch. Well. we've made an appointment with a rheumatologist. The earliest available time? October 11. So this condition I've had since June 14 will go undiagnosed and untreated for another 12 weeks.

I don't think so. I'm not sitting around waiting that long. I've started taking glucosamine, which is s supplement that's supposed to be good for joints. And beginning today, I'm exercising again. For a while I'll just be walking in the mornings, we'll see about running later.

Although the knees hurt, it feels more like a stiffness, so I'm planning to keep them loose through physical activity. I'll be keeping a log of my exercises to monitor my progress.

Will any of this be effective? I don't know. But it's better than just sitting around waiting until October 11.

July 2
Walked 1.44k/21.3 7

Hey- it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment