Monday, November 20, 2017

Diabelli Project 171 - String Trio, Mvt. 1A

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This sketch starts a new series. Recently I've caught myself anticipating the end of the session. I have a pretty good idea of about how much I can write in the allotted ten minutes. For many of the recent sketches, the music seems to really get going in the last half measure with only a hint of what's to come.

So it's time to expand the challenge. For this sketch, I wrote for the ten minutes and stopped. Next week, I'll pick up where I left off and work for another ten. And another ten the week after that, and another ten the week following.

And following that, I'll start a sketch for the next movement, and follow the same process. Then I'll do the same with a concluding third movement.

Will it all hang together? Hard to say. It may all just hang separately. But I think it's worth a try. Here's the first installment.



As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment