Monday, August 27, 2018

Diabelli Project 204 - Duet for Clarinet and Marimba, Part 1

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

 Trying to continue a composition in ten-minute sessions has really challenged me -- especially as these sessions are usually a week apart. So I decided to do another one. Below is the first part of a duet for Bb clarinet and marimba. Both instruments have a rich, dark sound in their lower registers. And they have very different sounds in their upper registers.

To me, this suggests a way for the instruments to combine and pull apart. I started with a very simple five-note motif, and just let it take me wherever it wanted to go.


As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment